8-week online course details
Yoga is an “anushasana shastra,” based on practice and experience. Its goal is to help us realize our highest potential—to see and understand things as they truly are and to experience the benefits of such seeing.
The Yoga Sutra offers an eight-fold (ashtanga) path to achieve clarity, employing a comprehensive and holistic program focusing on the body, breath, mind, senses and the quality of one’s engagements with the world and with oneself. This course will require the student to reflect on the sutras and put them to practice.
Each week, there will be
- Day 1: an hour long online lecture by the teacher
- Day 3: a 300 word summary of the lecture to be submitted
- Day 6: a 2-hour online meeting where the subject is discussed and questions are answered
At the end of each chapter, a 500-word summary of the chapter needs to be submitted.
At the end of the 8-week program, an essay on what the study and practice of the teachings of the Yoga Sutra mean to you needs to be submitted.
This course is open to all—novices, advanced practitioners or yoga teachers—and require no more than a willingness to engage openly and thoughtfully with a supportive community of learners.
The Heart of Yoga – Developing a Personal Practice
– T.K.V. Desikachar
(Note: We will spend 6 weeks on the more foundational chapters 1 and 2 of the Yoga Sutra, and a week each on chapters 3 and 4.
- Weeks 1 to 2 (days 1-14): Chapter 1 of Yoga Sutra
- Weeks 3 to 6 (day 15-42): Chapter 2 of Yoga Sutra
- Week 7 (day 43-49): Chapter 3 of Yoga Sutra
- Week 8 (day 50-56): Chapter 4 of Yoga Sutra
The cost for the program is $600 per participant.